Known for its fast pace, the vibrant city of New York is arguably one of the best cities in the entire world! So if you’re looking to learn more then you’re in the right place.
Below I’ve curated a bumper list of the best New York quotes that are guaranteed to have you booking your next trip to the Big Apple!
Not only can you use these best quotes about New York City to inspire your vacation, but they are also perfect for those looking for New York Captions for Instagram!
Whilst in New York, you might also like to check out:
- Best Statue of Liberty Quotes and Captions
- Top Brooklyn Quotes and Brooklyn Bridge Captions for Instagram
Quotes on New York City
- “I get out of the taxi and it’s probably the only city which in reality looks better than on the postcards: New York.”– Milos Forman
- “I would give the greatest sunset in the world for one sight of New York’s skyline.” — Ayn Rand
- “There is something in the New York air that makes sleep useless.” — Simone de Beauvoir
- “New York is not a city – it’s a world.” — Iman
- “It’s pretty cliched, but Times Square is just incredible. You really feel like you’re in the capital of the world.” — Timothy F. Cahill
Best New York Captions for Instagram
- “New York is really the place to be; to go to New York, you’re going to the centre of the world, the lion’s den.” – Zubin Mehta
- If a man can live in Manhattan, he can live anywhere.
- London is a mystery, NYC is an explanation.
- “If you follow your heart just right, it will get you to New York City.”
- “Somewhere between living and dreaming, there’s New York.”
Short New York Quotes for Instagram
- Welcome to the concrete jungle
- Taking a bite out of the Big Apple
- A New York minute
- Sleepless nights and city lights
- Wanderlust and city dust
- Once upon a time in New York
Funny Quotes about New York City
- “New York City is a tourist trap I don’t mind being in.”
- “A bad day in New York City is still better than a good day anywhere else.”
- “New York is the only city in the world where you can get run down on the sidewalk by a pedestrian.” – Russell Baker
- “I fell in love. His name is New York.”
- “Anytime four New Yorkers get into a cab together without arguing, a bank robbery has just taken place.” – Johnny Carson
- “It is ridiculous to set a detective story in New York City. New York City is itself a detective story.” – Agatha Christie
- “Someone asked me for directions, so you can call me a real New Yorker.”
- “When it’s 100 degrees in New York, it’s 72 in Los Angeles. When it’s 30 degrees in New York, in Los Angeles it’s still 72. However, there are 6 million interesting people in New York, and only 72 in Los Angeles.”― Neil Simon
Top NYC Quotes and New York Sayings
- “Anything is possible. This is New York.”
- “The wanderer in Manhattan must go forth with a certain innocence, because New York is best seen with innocent eyes.” – Pete Hamill
- “If London is a watercolor, New York is an oil painting.” ― Peter Shaffer
- “The true New Yorker secretly believes that people living anywhere else have to be, in some sense, kidding.”— John Updike
- “Everybody ought to have a lower East Side in their life.” – Irving Berlin
- “More than anything else New York is a city of superlatives, a place where the best, the brightest, the biggest is the norm.” – Marilyn J. Appleberg
- “I go to Paris, I go to London, I go to Rome, and I always say, “There’s no place like New York. It’s the most exciting city in the world now. That’s the way it is. That’s it.” – Robert De Niro
Best Quotes for New York
- “Once you have lived in New York and made it your home, no place else is good enough.” – John Steinbeck
- “Make your mark in New York and you are a made man.” – Twain
- “New York had all the iridescence of the beginning of the world.” – F. Scott Fitzgerald
- “One belongs to New York instantly, one belongs to it as much in five minutes as in five years.” – Tom Wolfe
- “I love New York on summer afternoons when everyone’s away.” – F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby
- “Give me the streets of Manhattan!” – Walt Whitman
- “The glamour of it all! New York! America!” – Charlie Chaplin
- “If you want to become a real New Yorker, there’s only one rule: You have to believe New York is, has been, and always will be the greatest city on earth. The center of the universe.” – Ellen R. Shapiro
Short NYC Instagram Captions
- Enjoying every New York minute
- New York, New Me
- The city that never sleeps…
- Late nights, bright lights
- Fairytale of New York
- My heart burns for the city lights
Funny New York Instagram Captions
- I’m just a little apple in the Big Apple.
- I came, I ate, I conquered.
- Staten Island floats my boat.
- Times Square’s so bright, I need to wear shades.
- I’m so happy we MET
Funny New York City Instagram Captions
- Stop Yankee-ng my chain.
- First Time-rs Square.
- A trip to NYC can be very taxi-ng on your wallet
- In winter, NYC is the city of tights.
- After sightseeing all day, I’m Central Park-ing myself down for the rest of the night
New York Puns for Instagram
- The views from the Empire State Building couldn’t be any NYCer.
- Finally made it to the Statue of Liberty. It’s a boat time!
- I’d really lake to live by Central Park
- Winter in NYC is snow joke
- Seeing Greene
Funny New York City Quotes and Good NYC Captions for Instagram
- A trip to New York takes quite a bit of dough.
- Central Park always perks me up.
- More like Empire Great Building, am I right?
- Times Square heals all wounds
- In winter, New York makes a great frost impression.
- That’s some bull.
- Don’t harbor any ill will towards me.
- We’re all out of Stock.
Quotes about NY
- “I look out the window and I see the lights and the skyline and the people on the street rushing around looking for action, love, and the world’s greatest chocolate chip cookie, and my heart does a little dance.”— Nora Ephron
- “The city seen from the Queensboro Bridge is always the city seen for the first time, in its first wild promise of all the mystery and the beauty in the world.”― F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby
- “I love New York, even though it isn’t mine, the way something has to be, a tree or a street or a house, something, anyway, that belongs to me because I belong to it.”― Truman Capote
- “There is more sophistication and less sense in New York than anywhere else on the globe.” – Elbert Hubbard
- “It is often said that New York is a city for only the very rich and the very poor. It is less often said that New York is also, at least for those of us who came there from somewhere else, a city for only the very young.” – Joan Didion
- “New York City is a great monument to the power of money and greed… a race for rent.” – Frank Lloyd Wright
New Yorkers Quotes
- “But there is one thing about it — once you have lived in New York and it has become your home, no place else is good enough.” ― John Steinbeck
- “My favorite thing about New York is the people, because I think they’re misunderstood. I don’t think people realize how kind New York people are.” — Bill Murray
- “Being a New Yorker grounds you in every way. Before you walk out of the house, you can dress in the nicest clothes and be whoever you think you are, but when you’re on those streets, you’re just in the school of fish.” — Awkafina
- “Whoever is born in New York is ill-equipped to deal with any other city: all other cities seem, at best, a mistake, and, at worst, a fraud. No other city is so spitefully incoherent.” — James Baldwin
Sayings about New York City
- “London is satisfied, Paris is resigned, but New York is always hopeful. Always it believes that something good is about to come off, and it must hurry to meet it.” — Dorothy Parker
- “A hundred times have I thought New York is a catastrophe, and fifty times: It is a beautiful catastrophe.” – Le Corbusier
- “When you leave New York, you are astonished at how clean the rest of the world is. Clean is not enough.”— Fran Lebowitz
- “I don’t like cities. But I like New York. Other places make me feel like a dork.”— Madonna
- “If Louis was right, and you only get one great love, New York may just be mine. And I can’t have nobody talking nonsense about my boyfriend.”— Carrie Bradshaw
- “One’s life and passion may be elsewhere, but New York is where you prove if what you think in theory makes sense in life.” – Miuccia Prada
- “This is the city of dreamers and time and again it’s the place where the greatest dream of all, the American dream, has been tested and has triumphed.” – Michael Bloomberg
- “New York is made up of millions of different people, and they all come here looking for something.” – Lindsey Kelk
New York Song Quotes
- “Welcome to New York. It’s been waiting for you.” – Taylor Swift
- “New York, concrete jungle where dreams are made of, there’s nothin’ you can’t do now you’re in New York.” – Jay-Z and Alicia Keys
- I want to wake up in a city that never sleeps.” – Frank Sinatra
- “I want to be a part of it, New York, New York.” — Frank Sinatra
- “New York City’s the place where they said, ‘Hey, babe, Take a walk on the wild side’” – Lou Reed
- “Times Square can’t shine as bright as you.” — Plain White T’s
- “I’m in a New York state of mind.” — Billy Joel
Instagram Captions for New York
- “Sometimes, from beyond the skyscrapers, the cry of a tugboat finds you in your insomnia, and you remember that this desert of iron and cement is an island.” – Albert Camus
- “It was never built for the comfort and happiness of its citizens, but to astonish the world.” – Susan Ertz
- “I was in love with New York. I do not mean ‘love’ in any colloquial way, I mean that I was in love with the city, the way you love the first person who ever touches you and never loves anyone quite that way again.” – Joan Didion
Phrases about New York City
- “One belongs to New York instantly, one belongs to it as much in five minutes as in five years.” – Thomas Wolfe
- “I love New York. You can pop out of the Underworld in Central Park, hail a taxi, head down Fifth Avenue with a giant hellhound loping behind you, and nobody even looks at you funny.” – Rick Riordan
- “The next morning, I went back to the open vantage from which we had watched the tower so dreadfully slip from sight. The fresh sun shone on the eastward façades, a few boats tentatively moved in the river, the ruins were still sending out smoke, but New York looked glorious.” – John Updike
New York City Sayings and Quotes
- “On a New York subway you get fined for spitting, but you can throw up for nothing.” – Lewis Grizzard
- “Make your mark in New York and you are a made man.” – Mark Twain
- “When I’m in New York, I just want to walk down the street and feel this thing, like I’m in a movie.” – Ryan Adams
- “In New York / Concrete jungle where dreams are made of / There’s nothing you can’t do / Now you’re in New York / These streets will make you feel brand new / Big lights will inspire you.” – Jay Z & Alicia Keys, Empire State of Mind
- “New York is a different country. Maybe it ought to have a separate government. Everybody thinks differently, they just don’t know what the hell the rest of the United States is.” – Henry Ford
- “New York: where everyone mutinies but no one deserts.” – Harry Hershfield
- “People go to LA to “find themselves”, they come to New York to become someone new.” – Lindsey Kelk
- “I regret profoundly that I was not an American and not born in Greenwich Village. It might be dying, and there might be a lot of dirt in the air you breathe, but this is where it’s happening.” – John Lennon
New York City Phrases
- “Dear New York, I’ll never get over you.”
- “The flag of New York City should be someone with four bags opening a door with their shoulder.” – Alex Baze
- “The only people who can afford to be artists in New York are rich.” – Sophie Frances
- “Skyscraper National Park”- Kurt Vonnegut
- “When I first moved to New York, I bought Vogue instead of dinner. I just felt it fed me more.” – Carrie Bradshaw
- “Here we are Marv. New York City, the land of opportunity.” – Harry, Home Alone 2
- “New York City is where your wildest dreams come true.” “I love New York City…you’re never alone but you’re always on your own.” – Blair Waldorf, Gossip Girl
That’s 114 of the Best Quotes about NYC
That’s the end of my bumper list, so I hope you’ve managed to find the perfect New York quote.
I’d love to know which one is your favorite, and if I’ve missed any awesome New York phrases then please let me know in the comments below.
Planning a Trip to New York City?
If you want to read more, check out some of my most popular related posts:
- Brooklyn Quotes and Captions for Instagram
- Best Statue of Liberty Captions and Quotes
- Best Instagram Captions for New Jersey
- Quotes about Exploration that Will Spark Your Wanderlust
- Sunrise Captions That Will Make You An Early Riser
- Summer captions to make you smile
- Road Trip Quotes Guaranteed to Fuel Your Wanderlust
- Sunset Captions for Instagram
- Chicago Quotes and Sayings
- Best Seattle Quotes and Captions
- Top Washington DC Instagram Quotes
- Kentucky Captions and Sayings
- Las Vegas Quotes for Instagram
- Hawaii Captions and Quotes
- Miami Captions and Sayings
- Instagram Captions for Florida
- Colorado Captions for Instagram
- Arizona Captions and Quotes
- Best Atlanta Sayings for Instagram
- Best Alabama Instagram Quotes and Captions
- Quotes about New Orleans
- Grand Canyon Quotes for Instagram
- Texas Quotes and Captions for Insta
- Best Boston Sayings
- Best Alaska Sayings for Instagram
- Best Ohio State Instagram Captions
- Best July 4th Quotes on Independence Day
- Nashville Tennessee Quotes for Instagram
- Best Canada Quotes for Instagram
- Best Captions about Charleston South Carolina
- Beautiful Quotes about San Francisco
- San Diego Captions for Instagram
- California Quotes and Sayings
- Best Los Angeles Quotes and Captions
- Best Utah Captions for Instagram
- Vermont Quotes for Instagram
- Oregon Quotes, Sayings and Captions
- Michigan Captions and Puns
- Best Maine Quotes and Captions
- Best Instagram Captions for Montana
- Best Philadelphia Quotes and Sayings
- Yosemite Sayings and Instagram Captions
- Best John Muir Quotes
- Best National Park Sayings, Quotes and Captions
- Best Puerto Rico Quotes and Captions
- If you like Quotes and Captions check out my Pinterest board