A quick search of the internet and you’ll find thousands of travel quotes. They exist to inspire you to delve into the unknown and learn about the world. However, solo travel quotes have an extra special ingredient – not only do they ignite wanderlust and passion for the great unknown, but they have the added benefit of giving strength and courage to solo travellers who are facing the world alone.
Why Travel Solo?
In recent years, solo travel has been on the rise, and more and more people are discovering just how empowering and exciting it can be to venture into the unknown alone.
It is one of the most life changing experiences you can undertake, and will ultimately mould you into a stronger, more capable individual.
There are plenty of challenges when travelling alone, but solo travel is the ultimate chance for you to learn about yourself and see the world from a whole new perspective.
You’ll grow as a person exponentially, and be better equipped to deal with what life throws at you.
My solo trips have been filled with highs and lows, but they are the kinds of experiences I wouldn’t change for the world, as they have made me who I am today.
Whether in a foreign city or strange town, a solo journey is your very own adventure. So whether you’re single, in a relationship, introverted or extroverted, try travelling alone at least once in your life.
40 of the Best Travel Solo Quotes
Whether you’re currently on the road solo or at home planning to travel alone for the first time, you’ll find that quotes about traveling alone will help to inspire you and push you ahead.
So I’ve curated and categorised 40 of the best solo travel quotes (that also make the perfect travel captions for Instagram), in the hopes that they will motivate and nudge you into booking a solo trip abroad.
These solo travel quotes have been hand picked from authors, poets, historians, actresses, scientists and even Buddha!
Solo Trip Quotes
1. “Traveling alone will be the scariest, most liberating, life changing experience of your life. Try it at least once.” – Unknown
2. “Go solo, go far.” –Unknown
3. “Don’t be scared to walk alone. Don’t be scared to like it.” — John Mayer
4. “Some journeys can be only traveled alone.” –Kein Poirot
5. “Travel only with thy equals or thy betters; if there are none, travel alone.” — Buddha
6. “If you make friends with yourself you will never be alone.” – Maxwell Maltz
7. “Travel far enough, you meet yourself.” –David Mitchell
8. “There are some places in life where you can only go alone. Embrace the beauty of your solo journey.” – Mandy Hale
Self Discovery Quotes About Travelling Alone
Solo travel is all about relying on yourself and trusting your instincts. You’ll learn more about yourself and find out just how capable you are. The following quotes about traveling alone, are all about self discovery:
9. “I learned my strengths and my weaknesses. I experienced the exhilaration of the ups and the despairs of the lows and most of the feelings in between… I learned courage and I learned it myself” – Ann Stirk
10. “As you travel solo, being totally responsible for yourself, it’s inevitable that you will discover just how capable you are!”
Solo Ride Quotes
11. “Adventure can be an end in itself. Self-discovery is the secret ingredient.” – Grace Lichtenstein
12. “Traveling solo means getting to know the real you.” –Unknown
13. “The best trip is the journey you take in finding yourself.” – Angela Vallely
14. “I have traveled many roads in my life. Some were imbued with pain and I needed to avert my gaze. Others were so beautiful that I would have remained there forever. But always, at some point in these routes, I reached a place where I encountered myself.” – Pablo Holmberg
15. “You have to get lost before you can be found” – Jeff Rasley
Riding Solo Quotes About How Much Travel Can Change You
We all know travel changes you, but travelling alone is even more transformative, and will shape you in ways you could never have imagined. This is because solo travel is designed to push you out of your comfort zone, and make you realise the only limits you have are the ones you set yourself. The below travel alone quotes are all about how solo travel can change you and test your boundaries:
16. “Always go with the choice that scares you the most, because that’s the one that is going to require the most from you” – Caroline Myss
17. “Travel doesn’t become adventure until you leave yourself behind” –Marty Rubin
18. “One of the greatest discoveries a man makes, one of his great surprises, is to find he can do what he was afraid he couldn’t do” – Henry Ford
Quotes on Travelling Alone
19. “Life begins at the end of your comfort zone” – Neale Donald Walsch
20. “Solo travel not only pushes you out of your comfort zone, it also pushes you out of the zone of other’s expectations.” – Suzy Strutner
21. “Travel makes one modest. You see what a tiny place you occupy in the world.” – Gustav Flaubert
22. “A nomad I will remain for life, in love with distant and uncharted places.” – Isabelle Eberhardt
Quotes About Traveling Alone That Will Make You Embrace It
When you’re planning to visit a foreign country by yourself for the first time, it can be hard to find the inner courage to make your solo travel dreams a reality. The following solo travelling quotes are designed to take away your fears and get you packing your backpack:
23. “You are the one that possesses the keys to your being. You carry the passport to your own happiness.” – Diane Von Furstenberg
24. “Traveling solo does not always mean you’re alone. Most often, you meet marvelous people along the way and make connections that last a lifetime.” – Jacqueline Boone
Travelling Alone Quotes
25. “When you’re traveling with someone else, you share each discovery, but when you are alone, you have to carry each experience with you like a secret, something you have to write on your heart, because there’s no other way to preserve it.” – Shauna Niequist
26. “Half the fun of travel is the aesthetic of lostness.” – Ray Bradbury
27. “You will never be alone if you like the person you are with!”
28. “Not I, nor anyone else, can travel that road for you. You must travel it for yourself.” – Walt Whitman
29. “You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!”
FOMO Solo Travel Quotes
There are plenty of quotes about solo travel that are all about making sure you don’t miss out on travelling alone and the unique experiences it offers. Read this collection of inspiring traveling solo quotes for the journeys you need to do alone NOW before it’s too late.
30. “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
31. “If you are waiting for someone to travel with you, you may end up waiting a lifetime.” –Unknown
Alone Travel Quotes
32. “If you never go, you’ll never know.” – Unknown
33. “Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it?” – Caroline Myss
34. “The man who goes alone can start today; but he who travels with another must wait till that other is ready.” – Henry David Thoreau
35. “If you don’t get out of the box you’ve been raised in, you won’t understand how much bigger the world is.” – Angelina Jolie
Solo Female Travel Quotes
If the fear of the unknown has caused you to procrastinate or postpone your solo female adventure then I hope these inspirational quotes about traveling alone as a woman will give you a push in the right direction.
36. “The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before.” –Albert Einstein
37. “The question isn’t who is going to let me; it’s who is going to stop me.” – Ayn Rand
38. “When a woman becomes her own best friend life is easier.” – Diane Von Furstenberg
39. “Good girls go to heaven, bad girls go everywhere.” – Mae West
40. “I was amazed that what I needed to survive could be carried on my back. And, most surprising of all, that I could carry it.” – Cheryl Strayed
Travel Alone Quotes
That’s a wrap! I hope these 40 quotes on travelling alone have made you see solo travel in a new way, and perhaps motivated you to get past the hardest part, taking the leap!
As an added bonus I’ve included a FREE downloadable PDF of all these travelling alone quotes so you can keep them handy.
Copy and paste them for your next social media update, or send them to a friend who’s planning their solo trip. However you choose to use these solo ride quotes, I hope they inspire you to take on your next solo adventure trip.
Did I miss any good quotes for solo travelers? If so, let me know in the comments below, and if you are looking for even more travel inspiration check out some of the other travel quotes I’ve collated.
- Travel with Friends Quotes
- Waterfall Quotes
- Road Trip Quotes
- Mountain Quotes
- Outdoor Quotes
- Hiking Quotes
- Exploration Quotes
- Sunrise Captions for Instagram
- Summer Captions for Instagram
- Beach Captions for Instagram
- Sunset Captions for Instagram
- Funny Travel Quotes
- London Quotes
- Arizona Quotes
- California Quotes
- Miami Quotes to Inspire your trip to Florida
- If you prefer visuals check out my Pinterest board dedicated to Quotes and Captions.