From world class museums and galleries, to regal palaces, beautiful parks and renowned theatres, it’s no wonder London is one of the world’s most popular cities. So many songs, poems and books, feature quotes about London, so to save you time, I’ve collated the Top 75 Most Famous London Quotes, that will have you itching to visit England’s capital city.
Famous Sayings about London
- “The man who can dominate a London dinner table can dominate the world.” – Oscar Wilde
- “You find no man, at all intellectual, who is willing to leave London. No, Sir, when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford.” – Samuel Johnson
- “There are two places in the world where men can most effectively disappear — the city of London and the South Seas.” – Herman Melville
- “I’ve been walking about London for the last 30 years, and I find something fresh in it every day.”– Walter Besant
- “London always reminds me of a brain. It is similarly convoluted and circuitous. A lot of cities, especially American ones like New York and Chicago, are laid out in straight lines. Like the circuits on computer chips, there are a lot of right angles in cities like this. But London is a glorious mess.” – James Geary
- “It is difficult to speak adequately or justly of London. It is not a pleasant place; it is not agreeable, or cheerful, or easy, or exempt from reproach. It is only magnificent.”- Henry James
- “The English language is like London: proudly barbaric yet deeply civilised, too, common yet royal, vulgar yet processional, sacred yet profane.” – Stephen Fry
- “London goes beyond any boundary or convention. It contains every wish or word ever spoken, every action or gesture ever made, every harsh or noble statement ever expressed. It is illimitable. It is Infinite London.”– Peter Ackroyd
Quotes about London and Londoners
- “In London, everyone is different, and that means anyone can fit in.” – Paddington Bear
- “It is not the walls that make the city, but the people who live within them. The walls of London may be battered, but the spirit of the Londoner stands resolute and undismayed.” – George VI
- “One of the the things I most liked about the city – apart from all its obvious attractions, the theatre, the galleries, the exhilarating walks by the river – was that so few people ever asked you personal questions.”– Julia Gregson
- “In this city 300 languages are spoken and the people that speak them live side by side in harmony. This city typifies what I believe is the future of the human race and a future where we grow together and we share and we learn from each other.” – Ken Livingstone
- “London is a cluster of communities, great and small, famous and unsung; a city of contrasts, a congregation of diversity.” – Roy Porter
- “Oh, I love London Society! It is entirely composed now of beautiful idiots and brilliant lunatics. Just what society should be.” – Oscar Wilde
- “My Dad says that being a Londoner has nothing to do with where you’re born. He says that there are people who get off a jumbo jet at Heathrow, go through immigration waving any kind of passport, hop on the tube and by the time the train’s pulled into Piccadilly Circus they’ve become a Londoner.”– Ben Aaronovitch
- “The best bribe which London offers to-day to the imagination, is, that, in such a vast variety of people and conditions, one can believe there is room for persons of romantic character to exist, and that the poet, the mystic, and the hero may hope to confront their counterparts.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
Short Quotes from London
- “London is a roost for every bird.”– Benjamin Disraeli
- “By seeing London, I have seen as much of life as the world can show.”– Samuel Johnson
- “Fragmentarily the City is nothing, but collectively it is gigantic…” – Charlotte Riddell
- “Keep calm and go to London.” – Unknown
- “New York has a great energy, but London is better.”– Jaime Winstone
- “London is a modern Babylon.” – Benjamin Disraeli
- “I think London’s sexy because it’s so full of eccentrics.” – Rachel Weisz
- “I like the spirit of this great London which I feel around me.” -Charlotte Brontë
- “The parks be the lungs of London.”– Charles Dickens
- “There’s nowhere else like London. Nothing at all, anywhere.”– Vivienne Westwood
- “To walk alone in London is the greatest rest.”– Virginia Woolf
- “London’s greatest strength is our diversity.”– Sadiq Khan
- “If London is a watercolor, New York is an oil painting.” – Peter Shaffer
Funny London Quotes for Instagram
- “A person who is tired of London is not necessarily tired of life; it might be that he just can’t find a parking place.”– Paul Theroux
- “Nothing is certain in London but expense.” – William Shenstone
- “A bad day in London is still better than a good day anywhere else.” – Unknown
- “In London, love and scandal are considered the best sweeteners of tea.”– John Osborne
- “London is a bad habit one hates to lose.”– William Sansom
- “Yes, London. You know, fish, chips, cup o tea, bad food, worse weather, Mary-fucking-Poppins. London!” – Dennis Farina
London Travel Quotes
- “London opens to you like a novel itself… It is divided into chapters, the chapters into scenes, the scenes into sentences; it opens to you like a series of rooms, doors and passages. Mayfair to Piccadilly to Soho to the Strand.”– Anna Quindlen
- “When exploring London, you will come across lots of excitement by chance, so try to take everything in rather than just rushing around to all of the major tourist haunts.”– Richard Branson
- “The vibe of London as a city is captivating. It’s both fast-paced and extremely rushed but still has the calmness that would attract any big-city person.”– Ali Fazal
- “Aesthetically, London is just beautiful; it’s a gorgeous city. The architecture, monuments, the parks, the small streets – it’s an incredible place to be” – Sara Bareilles
- “I came to London. It had become the center of my world and I had worked hard to come to it. And I was lost.” –V. S. Naipaul
- “I had neither kith nor kin in England, and was therefore as free as air — or as free as an income of eleven shillings and sixpence a day will permit a man to be. Under such circumstances, I naturally gravitated to London, that great cesspool into which all the loungers and idlers of the Empire are irresistibly drained.” – Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
- “The streets of London have their map, but our passions are uncharted. What are you going to meet if you turn this corner?”– Virginia Woolf
- “I went to London because, for me, it was the home of literature. I went there because of Dickens and Shakespeare.” – Ben Okri
- “I long to go through the crowded streets of your mighty London, to be in the midst of the whirl and rush of humanity, to share its life, its change, its death, and all that makes it what it is.” – Dracula
- “It is my belief, Watson, founded upon my experience, that the lowest and vilest alleys in London do not present a more dreadful record of sin than does the smiling and beautiful countryside.” – Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
London Poems and Songs
- “Maybe it’s because I’m a Londoner / That I love London so / Maybe it’s because I’m a Londoner / That I think of her wherever I go / I get a funny feeling inside of me / Just walking up and down / Maybe it’s because I’m a Londoner / That I love London town.” -Hubert Gregg
- “London, London, London town / You can toughen up or get thrown around.” – Kano
- “You are now / In London, that great sea, whose ebb and flow / At once is deaf and loud, and on the shore / Vomits its wrecks, and still howls on for more / Yet in its depth what treasures!” – P. B. Shelley
- “There’s a hole in the world / Like a great black pit / And the vermin of the world / Inhabit it / And it goes by the name of London.” – Stephen Sondheim
- “A mighty mass of brick, and smoke, and shipping, / Dirty and dusty, but as wide as eye / Could reach, with here and there a sail just skipping / In sight, then lost amidst the forestry / Of masts; a wilderness of steeples peeping / On tiptoe through their sea-coal canopy; / A huge, dun cupola, like a foolscap crown / On a fool’s head – and there is London Town.” – Lord Byron
These puns about London make the best Instagram captions for your awesome London posts:
London is my cup of tea
Home is where the palace is
I can’t be Thamed.
Relationship status: crushing on Big Ben
Having the best Thames in London
Eye came. Eye saw. Eye conquered.
Sticks and scones may break my bones…
Let’s cross that London Bridge when we come to it.
50 Shades of Earl Grey
Puns about London
I’m about to enjoy the showers of London
Never met a scone I didn’t like
Visiting Buckingham Palace, but I’m having a bad heir day.
Feeling like a Queen in London
This little piggy went to Camden Market.
The traffic in London is like a Piccadilly Circus
Where have you Ben all my life?
Oops, I did it Big Ben.
Enjoying hour day at Big Ben.
Funny Quotes about London
Oh, Eye see you.
What a brew-tiful day!
In winter, London makes a great frost impression.
I tried to grab a pic of London fog, but I mist.
The cold here is snow joke.
Trying to make our way around London, but we don’t have the foggiest idea where we are!
The fog was so thick we mist our tour.
That’s over 75 Quotes on London to Inspire You
I hope you’ve managed to find the perfect London quote. I’d love to know which one is your favourite, and if I’ve missed any phrases about London then please let me know in the comments below!
As an added bonus I’ve included a FREE downloadable PDF of all these famous quotes about London so you can keep them handy.
Love inspirational quotes and captions? Check out these travel quotes to motivate you to book your next adventure.
- Sunset Captions for Instagram
- Sunrise Quotes
- Miami Quotes
- Arizona Quotes
- Quotes on California
- Beach Quotes
- Summer Captions for Instagram
- Hiking Quotes
- Waterfall Quotes
- Outdoors Quotes
- Explore Quotes
- Mountain Quotes
- Road Trip Quotes
- Solo Travel Quotes
- Travel with Friends Quotes
- Funny Travel Quotes
- If you prefer visuals check out my Pinterest board dedicated to Quotes and Captions.